Friday 9 March 2012

A Short Tale About a Long Tail

Janean and I are currently in the western highlands of Panama above Cerro Punta at Los Quetzales Ecolodge.  We walked part of the Los Quetzales Trail in Parque Nacional Volcan Baru and a ranger took us to a draw where we saw two male and one female Resplendent Quetzals (Pharomachrus mocinna)!  I have seen quetzals on more than one occasion but this was definitely the most amazing setting.  Here is a photo of from the breathtaking event:


I have to say that the quetzal is one of the most beautiful birds I have encountered in the wild.  I'm sure I could see thousands more and still rank this bird in the top three.  It must be something about the setting - the perpetual breeze that causes their tail feathers to drift off to one side and the lush vegetation with trees all draped in moss.  Stunning!

No comments:

Post a Comment